- There is agreement among central actors (trade unions etc.) concerning prolonged working hours (The Norwegian Working Environment Act (§ 10-6), and the possibility for use of 12 hour shifts (§ 10-5) for the entire institution. This provides for a more flexible system, reduces the attendance of employees. This will also avoid breaching the work hour regulations (§ 10-6: Overtime, § 10-5: Calculating average normal working hours)
- Until further notice, it is not required to apply for an exemption when hiring prison officers without formal education. Persons who are unemployed, but have a formal education from the correctional service should in this case be prioritized when hiring.
- Redeployment of employees between correctional facilities. Additional costs related to work travel can be covered if the travel distance is reasonable.
- A notification letter listing critically important personnel /positions has been submitted to the National Guard.
- A notification letter listing critically important personnel /positions has been submitted to all units of the correctional service, thus enabling employees to cross municipal boarders to reach work in eventually forbidden (closed) zones within the municipality.
KDI’s board of directors has decided to cancel employees’ planned vacations outside the Nordic countries.
The decision is authorized in accordance to the Act relating to Holidays, § 6 Fixing holiday dates, changes and compensation (3): Changes of fixed holidays, dates, compensation etc.
The aim of the decision is to prevent a number of employees having to go in quarantine for 14 days after arriving in Norway, should they go on vacation. Such a situation would cause serious operational problems for the correctional service. This decision is in force as of 13 March 2020.
On 05 March 2020, the Directorate of Norwegian Correctional Service published information (instructions) on how employees who have been in areas affected by the Corona virus should respond.
- KDI has established remote access via mobile phone for employees in quarantine/employees who can work from home in order to reduce the risk of spreading the Corona virus. This is in force as of 10 March 2020.
- Employees with portfolios and duties that do not require physical attendance, are recommended to work from home. The possibility of working from home is extended to include as many as possible, including employees at the EM control center.
- All courses, conferences and seminars have been cancelled up until 31 May 2020.
- Physical meetings (both external and internal) should be avoided until the end of April 2020, unless the management at a facility, the regional management, the management at KRUS or the management of KDI decides otherwise.
- All duty travels abroad are cancelled as of 10 March 2020.
- The main entrance of the headquarters of the Norwegian Correctional Service «The House of the Correctional Service” (Solheimsgata 21, Lillestroem) is closed. There is a poster on the door with contact information. Employees have personal access cards, and may enter the building.
All courses and seminars are suspended.